Sunday, July 6, 2008

Namaste - I salute the God within you

Meanings in global culture of holy greeting Namaste

I am taking this opportunity to paste part of the Wikipedia definition of the holy greeting - Namaste.
Namaste is one of the few Sanskrit words commonly recognized by Non-Hindi speakers. In the West, it is often used to indicate South Asian culture in general. "Namaste" is particularly associated with aspects of South Asian culture such as vegetarianism, yoga, ayurvedic healing, and Hinduism.
In recent times, and more globally, the term "namaste" has come to be especially associated with yoga and spiritual meditation all over the world. In this context, it has been viewed in terms of a multitude of very complicated and poetic meanings which tie in with the spiritual origins of the word.
Some examples:
"I honor the Spirit in you which is also in me." -- attributed to author Deepak Chopra[citation needed]
"I honor the place in you in which the entire Universe dwells, I honor the place in you which is of Love, of Integrity, of Wisdom and of Peace. When you are in that place in you, and I am in that place in me, we are One."[3][4]
"I salute the God within you."
"Your spirit and my spirit are ONE." -- attributed to Lilias Folan's shared teachings from her journeys to India.[citation needed]
"That which is of the Divine in me greets that which is of the Divine in you."[5]
"The Divinity within me perceives and adores the Divinity within you."[6]
"All that is best and highest in me greets/salutes all that is best and highest in you."
Namaste
Vaughn

No comments: